Pest Prevention Tips
A-1 Able Pest Doctors’ Pest Prevention Tips Keeps Your Home Safe From Common Miami Valley Pests
Pest Prevention Tips
A-1 Able Pest Doctors knows that you don’t want to see bugs and rodents in your home. These pest prevention tips are here to keep them away from your property.
Indoor Pest Prevention Tips
- Outside doors must be well sealed. If light can be seen from around or under a door, then insects can gain access into your home.
- Keep air conditioning filters clean and thermostats properly adjusted so mold and mildew build-up does not attract tiny insects.
- Check for plumbing leaks and seal off gaps around plumbing pipes behind cabinetry. Don’t let water accumulate anywhere in or around the home.
- Check grout around bathtubs and toilets. A good caulk seal will assure small insects such as silverfish and ants cannot enter these locations.
- Check the attic for unnecessary clutter and to ensure all gable vents are screened. Seal up any cardboard boxes to prevent insects from nesting inside.
- Store all open food in tightly sealed containers or in the refrigerator.
- If you have a pet, don’t leave pet food or water out overnight.
- Check for pests hiding in packages or boxes before carrying them inside your home.
Outdoor Pest Prevention Tips
- Repair torn screens anywhere on property to prevent insect entry.
- Seal around soffits and gable vents to ensure rodents and insects can’t gain access to the roof or attic space.
- Seal around conduits and piping where it enters the structure. Many insects and rodents follow power lines or climb conduits and pipes to gain access to the home.
- Check gutter drains to ensure water is diverted away from the home. The downspout and drip-leg should drain water away from the foundation to discourage moisture build-up next to the home.
- Remove accumulated leaf litter from rain gutters and roofs to prevent ants and other insects from breeding under the build-up.
- Caulk all cracks and crevices (i.e. under window frames or around pipes entering the inside of the home) to prevent insect entry.
- Keep garbage cans clean and lids sealed to prevent ants, roaches and flies from feeding and breeding in the garbage.
- Keep the garage door closed and make sure that the weather-stripping along the base of the door is in good repair.
- Prune excess vegetation touching the home, especially on eaves or the roof. The vegetation creates a highway for insect access.
- Remove debris, clutter or woodpiles away from the home’s foundation. This discourages rodent nesting or insect colonization next to the home.
- Check irrigation system to be sure there is no puddle near the foundation or spraying onto the home.
- Divert the drip line from the air conditioner at least 2 feet away from the structure.
Call For Your Free Inspection
At A-1 Able Pest Doctors, we’re proud of the fact that our patients die. We offer a free inspection and no obligation estimate to eliminate and control pests in your home or office. Call for your inspection and estimate now!